Saturday, April 24, 2010

Journal


Well here it is...my fourth and FINAL shell drawing for this semester! To be honest, I was really getting tired of drawing the same shell. It would have been nice to switch to a different type of shell mid-semester. But I guess this way we really got to know this one. For this drawing, I took on the most difficult angle yet. I did struggle with it, especially first drawing out the spirals and getting them right. I had avoided this angle all semester, but now that it's finished, I'm very proud of my accomplishment! I also really like my ink job. I feel like I'm really starting to get used to this medium and can somewhat predict what the ink will do. During the critique of my third shell, I said that I had wanted to do two things in the future: use more white of the paper for my highlights and to let loose and let the ink do what it wants. I focused a lot on those two goals when doing the ink on this drawing and I am happy with the results. I left some areas white and I think it is very effective. I also allowed for more running and drips to happen, and I think it really adds to the feeling that the shell came from the water. It's very interesting to look back at my first shell drawing and see my improvement! I'm proud of how far I've come in just a few short drawings.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful drawing. I love that you put the shell in a background.

    ReplyDelete