Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Final Journal

-The first objective was to understand and use a structural approach to drawing. This course definitely taught me how to do that. I now know how to approach the human form and draw the main structure first, instead of being overwhelmed by the individual characteristics of that person. Structure in all forms is now more obvious to me and I can say that I do pay more attention to it and use a structural approach to drawing.
Another objective was to develop a working knowledge of artistic anatomy through lectures, drawings, and clay modeling. I really learned a lot about the body and how we are put together, but there is just so much to know that I feel that I'm not really confident yet with the artistic anatomy past the basics. My weakest area is probably muscles, and that would only be improved with much deeper and more applied studies of the muscles.
I feel that my drawing skills really have improved this semester. Never before was I introduced to cross contour drawings, but all the practice in this class really helped me to realize its importance. Having to draw the shape and the valleys across the human form really taught me to look closer too. I also found myself thinking about my own body a lot when trying to figure out where something was on the model that I couldn't always see, such as the pelvic points.

-One thing that I feel I definitely improved on was my shell. In the second half of the semester when we started using the ink, I was able to let go of my control and let the ink do what it wanted. I feel like a loose, "messy" look is really not my style or comfort zone, but it was fun to try! I feel that being open and experimenting with new things is very important for an artist.
Something that I had to work on was refining my lines and adding variety to their form. This I tended to focus on mostly in my shell drawings in the second half of the semester. When drawing from the model, especially in gesture drawings, I was trying to go so fast that I did not really spend any time thinking about my line quality. During the long poses, I was aware that I needed to add variety and I did try, I just have a very hard time working lightly, I think!

-This class was great for me to take. Being an art education major, I will be using this knowledge throughout my teaching career. From my experiences in the schools so far, I know that the human form is what most students are apprehensive about. Now having a basic knowledge of the structure of the body knowing tricks for how to go about drawing it (start with the egg-shaped rib cage,etc.) I can teach my students the same way. What I wish we would have spent more time on is proportions, though, like for instance where on the head the nose goes or how long a thigh is in relation to the head size. Little tricks like those would also be very useful in teaching students about drawing the body.

Even though I was unable to post all my drawings from the semester because of an upload limit, you can still check out many of my works on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48324086@N05/sets/

No comments:

Post a Comment